Five of family burnt to death in Uttar Pradesh
Muzaffarnagar: A couple and three of their children were burnt to death here, while their three other children received multiple injuries after their house caught fire under mysterious circumstances early Monday, police said.
The incident took place in Bhopa area, when Mehboob Qureshi, 50, was sleeping inside his one-room house along with his wife and six children.
"While Mehboob, his wife, two sons and a daughter - aged between four and seven - died on the spot, the couple`s three daughters were rushed to a hospital," inspector Sanjay Verma told reporters here, some 450 km from Lucknow.
"We are yet to ascertain whether the fire broke out accidentally, or the house was torched by someone. Locals allege the house was locked from outside at the time of the incident. Investigations are on," he added.
According to police, the condition of the three girls - aged between 13-20 - is serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees