Five of family burnt to death in Uttar Pradesh
Muzaffarnagar: A couple and three of their children were burnt to death here, while their three other children received multiple injuries after their house caught fire under mysterious circumstances early Monday, police said.
The incident took place in Bhopa area, when Mehboob Qureshi, 50, was sleeping inside his one-room house along with his wife and six children.
"While Mehboob, his wife, two sons and a daughter - aged between four and seven - died on the spot, the couple`s three daughters were rushed to a hospital," inspector Sanjay Verma told reporters here, some 450 km from Lucknow.
"We are yet to ascertain whether the fire broke out accidentally, or the house was torched by someone. Locals allege the house was locked from outside at the time of the incident. Investigations are on," he added.
According to police, the condition of the three girls - aged between 13-20 - is serious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US