Focus should be on rehabilitation of Muzaffarnagar riot victims: Union Minister
New Delhi: Underlining the need for a law to deal with situations like the Muzaffarnagar communal strife, Minority Affairs minister K Rahman Khan on Wednesday said special focus should be laid on the rehabilitation of the victims.
"I have written a letter to the Prime Minister as well as the Home Minister and I am pursuing this matter," Khan said on the sidelines of an event, when asked whether a special law is needed for such situations.
Stressing on the need for rehabilitation of those affected by Muzaffarnagar violence, Khan said the state government should focus on this aspect as well and maintained that his ministry is in constant touch with the Home Ministry.
When asked about Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi`s statement that the riot victims were in touch with ISI, Khan evaded the query saying he did not want to enter into this discussion and the government and its machinery were fully capable of handling such situations.
"I do not want to go into the discussion whether victims are in touch with ISI or not. There has been violence in Muzzaffarnagar and the law and order has to be strengthened. This is the responsibility of the state government," he said.
"As far as the security of the country is concerned, the government and its machinery are capable of handling it," Khan said.
Asked if the Patna blasts were part of a revenge taken by IM as had appeared in certain sections of media, Khan said the NIA was investigating the matter and he did not want to comment on it as the investigation is still on.
"Whatever action needs to be taken will be taken by the Home Ministry after the investigation is over," Khan said.
On Congress` promise of providing reservation to Muslims in Uttar Pradesh, Khan said the party has not forgotten it.
"The matter is in the Supreme Court and we are pursuing this matter. We think, it should stand in the court," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez