Fog in UP, rail and flight schedules disrupted
Lucknow: Rail and air services were hit on Friday as a thick fog blanketed many parts of Uttar Pradesh.
The fog, which began late Thursday, led to the cancellation of two flights -- the Lucknow-Delhi Indigo and Jet Airways flights. Hundreds of passengers were stranded at the airport; protests broke out against the airlines as passengers alleged they had been kept in the dark about the cancellations.
More than three dozen trains were also reported running late. These included Lucknow Mail, the New Delhi-Lucknow Shatabdi Express and the Chandigarh Express, all of which were late by over 10 hours.
The Met department confirmed the "return of extreme cold wave conditions".
The lowest temperature was recorded in Muzaffarnagar with 2.2 degrees Celsius.
Regional Met director JP Gupta said the chill was likely to continue for the next one week due to cold winds sweeping the state.
The sudden change of weather also led to electricity demand peaking, forcing the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) to buy more power. With three consecutive holidays - Milad-un Nabi (Friday), Republic Day (Saturday) and Sunday - the corporation was buying 2,000 MW of additional electricity, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks