Fog in UP, rail and flight schedules disrupted
Lucknow: Rail and air services were hit on Friday as a thick fog blanketed many parts of Uttar Pradesh.
The fog, which began late Thursday, led to the cancellation of two flights -- the Lucknow-Delhi Indigo and Jet Airways flights. Hundreds of passengers were stranded at the airport; protests broke out against the airlines as passengers alleged they had been kept in the dark about the cancellations.
More than three dozen trains were also reported running late. These included Lucknow Mail, the New Delhi-Lucknow Shatabdi Express and the Chandigarh Express, all of which were late by over 10 hours.
The Met department confirmed the "return of extreme cold wave conditions".
The lowest temperature was recorded in Muzaffarnagar with 2.2 degrees Celsius.
Regional Met director JP Gupta said the chill was likely to continue for the next one week due to cold winds sweeping the state.
The sudden change of weather also led to electricity demand peaking, forcing the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) to buy more power. With three consecutive holidays - Milad-un Nabi (Friday), Republic Day (Saturday) and Sunday - the corporation was buying 2,000 MW of additional electricity, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened