Forest officer kills self in Banda
Banda: Depressed after being diagnosed with cancer a few months back, a forest officer shot himself dead here Wednesday, police said.
Satya Swaroop Srivastava, 50, committed suicide at his official residence.
"He shot himself using his licensed revolver. He died on the spot," Deputy Superintendent of Police Gyanendra Kumar told reporters in Banda, some 200 km from Lucknow.
"Though no suicide note has been recovered, preliminary investigations reveal the officer was suffering from acute depression ever since he was diagnosed with cancer of the throat a few months ago," he added.
According to police, Srivastava often told his colleagues that life was a burden for him and that he may end it.
"At the time of the incident, Srivatsava`s family was in Lucknow. His servant said that while he was preparing tea, he heard a gunshot and rushed to his room, where he found Srivastava lying in a pool of blood," said Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets