Former BJP MP shot dead, driver injured
Meerut: Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Amarpal Singh, who had recently joined the Congress, was on Monday shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Uttar Pradesh`s Meerut district, police said.
Amarpal Singh, a three-time BJP MP, was killed in Mawana town, police said, adding that his driver was also injured by the assailants who managed to escape.
"The car-borne criminals first hit the MP`s Scorpio car from behind. As the MP came out of his vehicle, the criminals shot him dead and escaped after assaulting the MP`s driver," Deputy Superintendent of Police Akhlakh Ahmad told reporters.
"According to the driver, who is being treated at a hospital, there were around five-six criminals in the car," he added.
Police are yet to trace the criminals or establish any motive behind the crime.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that it was a well-planned murder. We cannot rule out political rivalry behind the incident," said Ahmad.
At the time of the incident, Singh was going to his brick kiln on the outskirts of Mawana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Your depressed better-half can make you sad too!
- 70% want Narendra Modi to be PM till 2024, 62% happy with his performance: Survey
- Chhota Rajan faces death threat from Chhota Shakeel while in Tihar
- World's largest telescope may be set up in Ladakh
- Top quotes by PM Narendra Modi at launch of free LPG scheme for poor families