Former UP deputy CM Ram Chander Vikal dies
Ghaziabad: Ram Chander Vikal, former Uttar Pradesh deputy Chief Minister and a gujjar leader, has died of a cardiac arrest, party sources said on Monday.
93-year-old Vikal, former Congress Rajya Sabha member, died at a hospital here yesterday.
He was elected as a member in first UP Assembly. Later he became the deputy Chief Minister for two years in 1967 in Chaudhry Charan Singh`s government.
Vikal, who was considered close to the Gandhi family, quit politics soon after assassination of former Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi and was leading a simple life as a yoga teacher here, party sources said.
Last rites the freedom fighter were today performed at his native place in Basantpur Bagda village near Dadri in Gautam Budh Nagar district.
BJP leader and MP Rajnath Singh, Union Minister Sachin Pilot, Congress leader Mohisina and UP cabinet minister Ved Ram Bhati were among those who paid last tributes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie