Former UP deputy CM Ram Chander Vikal dies
Ghaziabad: Ram Chander Vikal, former Uttar Pradesh deputy Chief Minister and a gujjar leader, has died of a cardiac arrest, party sources said on Monday.
93-year-old Vikal, former Congress Rajya Sabha member, died at a hospital here yesterday.
He was elected as a member in first UP Assembly. Later he became the deputy Chief Minister for two years in 1967 in Chaudhry Charan Singh`s government.
Vikal, who was considered close to the Gandhi family, quit politics soon after assassination of former Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi and was leading a simple life as a yoga teacher here, party sources said.
Last rites the freedom fighter were today performed at his native place in Basantpur Bagda village near Dadri in Gautam Budh Nagar district.
BJP leader and MP Rajnath Singh, Union Minister Sachin Pilot, Congress leader Mohisina and UP cabinet minister Ved Ram Bhati were among those who paid last tributes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?