Former UP minister`s death puts off cabinet expansion
Lucknow: The death of Samjwadi Party (SP) legislator Raja Ram Pandey suspended the scheduled Cabinet expansion of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav led ministry on Friday.
Pandey, 58, died last night following a heart attack.
After a gap of three months, the Chief Minister was expected to expand his council of ministers at a function at Raj Bhawan scheduled for this morning, but it has been cancelled, an official said.
This was the fifth cabinet expansion since Yadav took over as the Chief Minister in the SP-led government in March 2012.
In the previous expansion exercise, on October 11, Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya was reinducted in Akhilesh`s cabinet after CBI awarded him clean chit in Deputy SP Zia-ul-Haq murder case in Kunda.
At present there are 22 cabinet ministers including chief minister, six state minister with independent charge and 31 state ministers. With total of 59 ministers, one cabinet berth is still vacant.
The party has not disclosed the name of the person who would be administered oath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her