Former Uttar Pradesh MLA passes away
Bahraich: A two-time former MLA from the Econa (reserved) Assembly Constituency died at the district hospital in Bahraich following prolonged illness, family sources said on Wednesday.
Former leader Bhagauti Prasad breathed his last on Tuesday at the district hospital after being shifted there from a nursing home.
The 70-year-old reportedly did not receive proper medical treatment during his ailment due to his poor financial condition, locals said.
He leaves behind his wife, three sons and a daughter.
Sources said expenses of taking the leader`s body to his native village at Madara was borne by the hospital.
Meanwhile, former BJP minister Daddan Misra and former MLC Subhash Tripathi said that the party was bearing all expenses for the leader`s last rites which are to be held later on Wednesday.
Prasad, considered an upright leader, was elected to Vidhan Sabha in 1967 and 1969 on a Bharatiya Jansangh ticket.
He, however, had to run a tea shop in his village to make ends meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 58,000 affected in floods in West Bengal, authorities issues red alert in Jalpaiguri
- Salman Khan thanks fans after acquittal in 18-year-old chinkara poaching cases
- "Come join me in the sacred land of ISIS" - Missing Kerala youth invites his family
- Mother, nine-month-old toddler found dead in Gurgaon, dowry death suspected
- Trinamool MP likens West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee to Mother Teresa, Goddess Saraswati