Foundation for NDA`s LS poll win from UP: Amit Shah
Lucknow: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah on Wednesday embarked on his maiden visit to Uttar Pradesh after taking charge of BJP`s affairs in this politically sensitive state voicing optimism that "foundation" for NDA`s poll victory in 2014 would be laid in UP.
The visit came three days after Modi was elevated as chairman of BJP`s national campaign committee which triggered the resignation of party patriarch LK Advani who has since agreed not to press for it to end a two-day crisis.
"I have come to UP for the first time but I want to say that the solid foundation of the next NDA government under the leadership of BJP in 2014 would be laid from UP," Shah, who arrived here to a rousing reception by party workers and leaders, said in his brief interaction with the media.
It is the first visit of Shah to UP after his appointment as the in-charge of the crucial state where maximum number of Lok Sabha seats (80) are at stake. In the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, BJP had won 10 seats and was behind ruling SP and Mayawati`s BSP.
Shah`s ability to revive the BJP in UP will be seen as a measure of whether Modi can play a large political role outside his home state.
On a two-day visit here, Shah is due to meet the party office bearers of UP`s BJP unit followed by an interaction with senior state leaders including Lalji Tandon, Kalraj Misra, Om Prakash Singh to evolve party strategies.
The BJP general secretary will also take part in a legislature party meeting tomorrow, party sources said.
Shah, who was the Minister of State for Home in Gujarat, is an accused in two fake encounter cases in his state and his currently out on bail.
He faces a daunting task of tackling factionalism in the party state unit and prepare it for the next parliamentary elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’