Four arrested in Dalit woman burning case
Muzaffarnagar: Four persons, who were accused of killing a Dalit woman by setting her afire in Tigai village last week, were arrested on Thursday, police said.
Zamir, Shamshad, Ali Hasan and Zakir were arrested for allegedly attacking Anju on October 21 when she was cutting trees from a jungle, police said.
Tension had gripped the village when Dalits blocked the Delhi-Dehra Dun national highway protesting the alleged murder of the woman, who succumbed to burn injuries on October 22.
Case of attempt to murder and Prevention of Atrocities Act (POA) had been registered against the four accused after the blockade.
However, according to police, Anju`s house caught fire in which she sustained burn injuries and succumbed in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Not everything they taught you in science was true - 10 myths debunked in this 3-min VIDEO!
- Home Minister level talks: India, Bangladesh resolve to fight terrorism together
- Ukraine at UN says Putin's Crimea decree 'null and void'
- Evening showers bring Gurugram to a grinding halt
- J&K govt to provide support for smooth functioning of schools