Four arrested in Dalit woman burning case
Muzaffarnagar: Four persons, who were accused of killing a Dalit woman by setting her afire in Tigai village last week, were arrested on Thursday, police said.
Zamir, Shamshad, Ali Hasan and Zakir were arrested for allegedly attacking Anju on October 21 when she was cutting trees from a jungle, police said.
Tension had gripped the village when Dalits blocked the Delhi-Dehra Dun national highway protesting the alleged murder of the woman, who succumbed to burn injuries on October 22.
Case of attempt to murder and Prevention of Atrocities Act (POA) had been registered against the four accused after the blockade.
However, according to police, Anju`s house caught fire in which she sustained burn injuries and succumbed in hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH