Four cases of rape with minors reported from UP
Lucknow: At least four rape cases involving minors have been reported from various parts of Uttar Pradesh in a day, police said on Tuesday.
As the national spotlight swivels to cases of child sexual abuse following the brutal rape of a five-year-old in New Delhi, prompting massive protests, Uttar Pradesh reported four cases Monday -- two from Pratapgarh district, one from Siddharthanagar district and another from Sitapur district.
In the first case in Pratapgarh, a madrassa teacher and his accomplice were arrested for raping a 15-year-old student for two days. They were arrested after the victim`s father filed a complaint with the local police.
In the second case, another teacher was arrested in the district for allegedly raping his 11-year-old relative.
On Monday evening, a minor girl was found dumped in the Pathra area of Siddharthanagar district. She later told police that two youths raped her in Aligarh town for three days.
In Sitapur district, a Dalit minor girl was abducted, repeatedly raped at gunpoint and then dumped in a village. Based on a complaint by the victim`s father, the rapist has been arrested, a police official said.
The day earlier, on Sunday, a girl was raped by three motorcycle-borne youths in Gadhmukteshwar town of Ghaziabad district while she was returning from a friend`s house. The assailants are yet to be arrested.
Senior police officers admitted that cases of rape were continuing unabated in the state.
"Sadly, rape cases are happening and the society must take stock of the direction we all are heading in," a senior police official said.
He added that police had increased patrolling during night to check such crimes.
To take a stock of the law and order situation, the state`s new director general of police, Devraj Nagar, has called a meeting of all senior police officers in the state capital Lucknow on April 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what