Four cops suspended, booked for murder
Fatehpur: Four policemen were on Friday booked for murder and suspended for conniving with a girl`s family that torched the house of relatives of a youth, who had allegedly eloped with the girl. While one of the relatives died, two others were injured.
Raj Kumar, the father of the girl, and nine of his aides have been booked for torching the house of Lalta Prasad, 50, late Thursday. Raj Kumar alleged that Prasad, who died, gave shelter to the youth, Ashok, after he eloped with his daughter March 2.
"The criminal case under various sections, including murder, has been registered against 14 people in all. Of the 14, four are policemen. While the girl`s family has been charged with setting Lalta Prasad`s house afire, the policemen have been accused of doing nothing to save the victims," Superintendent of Police Ram Bharose told reporters in Fatehpur, some 150 km from state capital Lucknow.
"The ten people from the girl`s side who torched the house are absconding. Efforts are on to nab them," he added.
According to the police, Prasad`s wife and son who received burn injuries in the incident are out of danger and are being treated in a hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet