Four girls drown while immersing idol in Auraiya
Lucknow: Four teenaged girls drowned during while immersing an idol in Uttar Pradesh`s Auraiya district Tuesday, police said.
A group of five girls, in the age group of 12-17 years, had gone to immerse an idol in the Sengar river after a religious programme in the district`s Azadpur village.
"When the group of five girls were about to perform the ritual in the river, one of them started drowning and her friends tried to rescue her. While the four girls drowned, one managed to survive as she was rescued by the locals," Superintendent of Police S.C. Dubey told reporters in Auraiya, some 200 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad