Four girls drown while immersing idol in Auraiya
Lucknow: Four teenaged girls drowned during while immersing an idol in Uttar Pradesh`s Auraiya district Tuesday, police said.
A group of five girls, in the age group of 12-17 years, had gone to immerse an idol in the Sengar river after a religious programme in the district`s Azadpur village.
"When the group of five girls were about to perform the ritual in the river, one of them started drowning and her friends tried to rescue her. While the four girls drowned, one managed to survive as she was rescued by the locals," Superintendent of Police S.C. Dubey told reporters in Auraiya, some 200 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt