close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Four killed during demolition drive in Meerut – Watch video

Four persons were killed on Saturday after they were buried under the debris of an "illegal" multi-storey building in Meerut cantonment area as it was being demolished by civic authorities this morning, officials said.



Meerut: Four persons were killed on Saturday after they were buried under the debris of an "illegal" multi-storey building in Meerut cantonment area as it was being demolished by civic authorities this morning, officials said.

Bungalow No 210, was demolished by the Cantonment Board authorities during an anti-encroachment drive during which a few people, who apparently were still in the building, were buried under the rubble. Four of them died while three were injured. They have been admitted to a hospital, Meerut Division Commissioner, Alok Sinha said.

Rescue operation is underway as at least six other persons are feared trapped under the debris.

According to Meerut Cantonment Board's Assistant Engineer, Piyush Gautam, "a prior notice was sent to its occupants to vacate the building as it had been illegally built. The area was marked for demolition and the timing of 3 AM was decided."

"We even gave three more hours to the occupants to take out their belonging and began the demolition at 6 AM only," he claimed.

According to officials, the building was a disputed property and the High Court had ordered its demolition.

Meanwhile, family members of the deceased have registered a police complaint against the officials of the Board.

The bodies have been sent for postmortem.  

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions