Four-time BJP MLA Guar protests denial of ticket
Allahabad: A four-time BJP MLA has raised a
banner of revolt against the party for being denied a ticket
from the assembly constituency he once represented.
Narendra Kumar Singh Gaur who has won four elections from
Allahabad (North) has said instead of him, the ticket was
given to a candidate "known for blatant use of money and
muscle power" and enjoying "backing of some very honourable
"I am shocked that the party has ignored my claim for a
ticket from Allahabad North, which I have represented four
times on the trot, and chosen a person known for blatant use
of money and muscle power," he said.
Gaur, who had won from Allahabad (North) in all the state
assembly polls since 1991 but had lost in the last one held in
2007, was upset over the fact that the party has fielded
strongman Uday Bhan Karwaria from the seat.
Karwaria, a two-time MLA from Bara seat in the district`s
trans-Yamuna region and sandmine contractor known for alleged
use of muscle power both in business and politics, was chosen
from the elite city constituency as Bara had been declared as
reserved following the latest delimitation.
Gaur, who was the minister for higher education when the
BJP was in power in the state, claimed that Karwaria enjoyed
the "backing of some very honourable leaders" and hence he was
chosen from "the predominantly urban seat comprising educated
electorate which would naturally feel uncomfortable with a
candidate with this type of background".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam