Four-time BJP MLA Guar protests denial of ticket
Allahabad: A four-time BJP MLA has raised a
banner of revolt against the party for being denied a ticket
from the assembly constituency he once represented.
Narendra Kumar Singh Gaur who has won four elections from
Allahabad (North) has said instead of him, the ticket was
given to a candidate "known for blatant use of money and
muscle power" and enjoying "backing of some very honourable
"I am shocked that the party has ignored my claim for a
ticket from Allahabad North, which I have represented four
times on the trot, and chosen a person known for blatant use
of money and muscle power," he said.
Gaur, who had won from Allahabad (North) in all the state
assembly polls since 1991 but had lost in the last one held in
2007, was upset over the fact that the party has fielded
strongman Uday Bhan Karwaria from the seat.
Karwaria, a two-time MLA from Bara seat in the district`s
trans-Yamuna region and sandmine contractor known for alleged
use of muscle power both in business and politics, was chosen
from the elite city constituency as Bara had been declared as
reserved following the latest delimitation.
Gaur, who was the minister for higher education when the
BJP was in power in the state, claimed that Karwaria enjoyed
the "backing of some very honourable leaders" and hence he was
chosen from "the predominantly urban seat comprising educated
electorate which would naturally feel uncomfortable with a
candidate with this type of background".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert