Four women killed after being hit by train
Lucknow: Four women, including three sisters, were Thursday crushed to death and two critically injured after being knocked down by an express train at a railway crossing near Garhmukteshwar in Uttar Pradesh where they had gone to observe Kartik Purnima.
Sonia (15), Neelam (22) and Suman (28) died along with their relative Gunjan (24) after being hit by the Faizabad-Delhi Express while crossing the tracks near the Garhmukteshwar railway station in Panchsheel Nagar district.
"The accident victims are natives of Delhi. At the time of the accident, they were returning after participating in a ritual to observe Kartik Purnima," government railway police (GRP) inspector Satish Kumar told reporters in Panchsheel Nagar, about 450 km from here.
"The two injured are being treated at a hospital where their condition is stated to be serious," he added.
Kartik Purnima sees thousands of people take a dip in the Ganges and other rivers to worship Lord Shiva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video