Four women killed after being hit by train
Lucknow: Four women, including three sisters, were Thursday crushed to death and two critically injured after being knocked down by an express train at a railway crossing near Garhmukteshwar in Uttar Pradesh where they had gone to observe Kartik Purnima.
Sonia (15), Neelam (22) and Suman (28) died along with their relative Gunjan (24) after being hit by the Faizabad-Delhi Express while crossing the tracks near the Garhmukteshwar railway station in Panchsheel Nagar district.
"The accident victims are natives of Delhi. At the time of the accident, they were returning after participating in a ritual to observe Kartik Purnima," government railway police (GRP) inspector Satish Kumar told reporters in Panchsheel Nagar, about 450 km from here.
"The two injured are being treated at a hospital where their condition is stated to be serious," he added.
Kartik Purnima sees thousands of people take a dip in the Ganges and other rivers to worship Lord Shiva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal