Fresh tension in Bareilly over release of Sunni cleric
Lucknow: Fresh tension erupted in Bareilly after members of a community indulged in brick batting and arson following the release of Sunni cleric Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan, who was arrested in connection with communal clashes, officials said here on Friday.
Leader of Ittehad-e-Millat Conference Maualna Khan, who was arrested on Monday last on charges of inciting a mob leading to communal clashes, was released last evening, they said.
Soon after Khan`s release, members of a community defied curfew and went on a rampage indulging in heavy brick batting and arson in nearly one dozen localities of the old city area.
Police used force at a number of places to control the unruly mob, which torched nearly half a dozen buildings.
To protest against Maulana`s release, BJP MLA Rajesh Agarwal and former MP Santosh Gangwar staged a dharna in front of the district magistrate`s residence, which continued till late last night, they said.
Meanwhile, curfew continued in four police areas of the city including Premnagar, Qila, Baradari and Kotwali. All educational institutions have been closed till further orders,
The state government had yesterday transferred District Magistrate Ashish Goel and Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) M K Bashal ostensibly for failing to control
While DM Pilibhit Anil Garg was posted as new Bareilly DM, DIG Anti-Terror Squad Allahabad zone Rajiv Sabbarwal was given additional charge in place of Bashal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read