Fresh violence in curfew-bound Bareilly, 20 shops torched
Bareilly: Nearly 20 shops were on Saturday torched by mobs in old area of communal strife-hit Bareilly despite curfew being clamped in most of the city even as
authorities rushed additional forces and a helicopter to rein in the spiralling violence.
Closure of all the educational institutes has been ordered and government has provided a helicopter to police for aerial monitoring in the trouble-hit areas, official sources said, adding curfew will not be relaxed till the situation normalises.
Defying curfew, members of a community torched around 20 shops in Qutubkhana sabzi mandi, one of the oldest markets in the city, this afternoon, police said, adding fire tenders were rushed to the sites.
Curfew has been clamped in five of the six police stations areas in the city.
"After large scale violence in which nearly 20 people, including an Superintendent of Police and some other policemen were injured, curfew has been extended in Subhsh Nagar police area. The situation is tense but under control," sources said.
Heavy force has been deployed across the city to avert further trouble.
"Fresh re-enforcement is being done in the trouble-hit areas of the city to control the situation," the sources said.
Nine officers including PAC commandant Jyoti Narain, four additional SPs and 4 DySPs had already airdashed to Bareilly.
Protesting against the release of cleric Maulana Tauqeer Raza Khan, arrested earlier on charges of inciting mob which led to communal clashes early this month, members of a
community indulged in arson and brick batting in Sanjay Nagar and Subhash Nagar localties yesterday.
The rampaging mob defied curfew in four police station areas including Prem Nagar, Qila, Baradari and Kotwali.
In a bid to control the protesters, police used tear gas shells and fired rubber bullets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...