Ganga canal to be shut for maintenance from Oct 17
Muzaffarnagar: Water supply to parts of
Delhi and some districts of Uttar Pradesh is likely to be
affected following the closure of Ganga canal for maintenance
from October 17.
"The annual repair works will be carried out from October
17 to November 5," Superintending Engineer Kirshan Kumar said
The decision to close the canal for repair work has been
approved by the Uttar Pradesh government and conveyed to the
Irrigation Department, he said.
The Delhi Jal Board and district authorities have been
informed about it, he added.
Almost 19 districts of Uttar Pradesh including Noida,
Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Bulandshahr, Itawa, Hathras, Firozabad,
Kanpur and Agra will likely be affected in their irrigation
and drinking needs.
Alternative private sources like tubewells and pumping
sets may be used by farmers in the areas to meet their
irrigation needs during the period.
The Ganga canal also supplies water to the Sonia Vihar
water treatment plant in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year