Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A gangster wanted in over 20 criminal cases was gunned down early Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh`s Ghazipur district even as his two aides escaped, police said.
Radhey Harijan, 34, who carried a reward of Rs.50,000 for his capture, was shot dead by the police in Bankathiya village, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He had over 20 criminal cases, including murder, abduction and other heinous crimes, pending against him in Uttar Pradesh," Inspector Rahul Singh told reporters in Ghazipur.
"We got a tip-off that Harijan was going towards Azamgarh district along with his two accomplices to execute some criminal activity. We carried out an operation with the assistance of the Special Operation Group and gunned him down after half-an-hour of gun battle," he added.
Police have constituted teams to nab the two associates of Harijan who managed to escape during the firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP