Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A gangster wanted in over 20 criminal cases was gunned down early Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh`s Ghazipur district even as his two aides escaped, police said.
Radhey Harijan, 34, who carried a reward of Rs.50,000 for his capture, was shot dead by the police in Bankathiya village, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He had over 20 criminal cases, including murder, abduction and other heinous crimes, pending against him in Uttar Pradesh," Inspector Rahul Singh told reporters in Ghazipur.
"We got a tip-off that Harijan was going towards Azamgarh district along with his two accomplices to execute some criminal activity. We carried out an operation with the assistance of the Special Operation Group and gunned him down after half-an-hour of gun battle," he added.
Police have constituted teams to nab the two associates of Harijan who managed to escape during the firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?