Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A gangster wanted in over 20 criminal cases was gunned down early Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh`s Ghazipur district even as his two aides escaped, police said.
Radhey Harijan, 34, who carried a reward of Rs.50,000 for his capture, was shot dead by the police in Bankathiya village, some 250 km from Lucknow.
"He had over 20 criminal cases, including murder, abduction and other heinous crimes, pending against him in Uttar Pradesh," Inspector Rahul Singh told reporters in Ghazipur.
"We got a tip-off that Harijan was going towards Azamgarh district along with his two accomplices to execute some criminal activity. We carried out an operation with the assistance of the Special Operation Group and gunned him down after half-an-hour of gun battle," he added.
Police have constituted teams to nab the two associates of Harijan who managed to escape during the firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal