Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: A gangster carrying a reward of Rs 50,000 for his capture was gunned down by police in Uttar Pradesh on Friday, police said.
Thirty-five-year-old Harinarayan, wanted in around 20 criminal cases including contract killings and abduction, was shot dead during a gun battle with the Special Task Force (STF) in Wazirganj area of Gonda district but his two aides escaped.
"Acting on a tip-off, STF sleuths raided a hideout where Harinarayan and his gang members were planning the murder of a local businessman," police inspector Ram Iqbal told reporters in Gonda, 150 km from here.
"To avoid arrest, they fired at the police. While Harinarayan was killed in the retaliatory firing, his two accomplices managed to run away," he added.
Police said two pistols and several cartridges were recovered from the gangster`s possession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open
- 2nd Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka's Angelo Mathews leads from front to frustrate England