`Gantantra Rath` to encourage people to vote ethically
Cuttack: To encourage voters to exercise their franchise and vote in an ethical manner, the Cuttack district administration here has launched `Ganatantra Rath` (Chariot of Democracy).
The chariot would move across all the 14 blocks of the district asking people to come out in large numbers to vote for a vibrant democracy.
Prepared by the district election office, two chariots rolled from the district headquarter here after a colourful flag-off yesterday.
The chariots would camp for at least two days in a block spreading awareness on registration of names in voters` list and how to cast vote in Electronic Voting Machine (EVM).
Setting the chariots roll, ADM Laxmikant Mohanty said all information pertaining to voters` list and EVM could be obtained from the personnel accompanying in the chariots. He said the main aim of the campaign is to encourage the young and new voters to vote in large numbers during elections.
Concerned over a low turnout of voters in booths during elections, the CEC has started similar awareness campaigns across the country. The campaign has already yielded encouraging results during polls to five states last month.
The Cuttack district administration is also planning to make all the 2,171 polling booths of the district as disabled-friendly so that the disabled persons, who shy away from exercising their franchise, would turn up to ensure better polling percentage in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses political parties in Goa of encouraging sex, drugs, prostitution
- Triple talaq issue to be examined on touchstone of Constitutional framework: SC
- Political parties in Goa encourage sex tourism: Kejriwal