Ghaziabad, Allahabad most polluted in UP: Survey
Lucknow: Ghaziabad and Allahabad have emerged as the two most air polluted cities in Uttar Pradesh in a recent survey by a research and advocacy organisation.
The survey conducted by Delhi-based Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) found pollutants of the size of 10 micron in Ghaziabad, Allahabad, Kanpur and Bareilly, which was four times the acceptable size of particulates in urban areas.
It also found air pollution levels three times more than the prescribed limits in Lucknow, Firozabad, Agra, Mathura, Khurja, Saharanpur, Moradabad and Gajraula.
The status report on the pollution levels in the state`s major cities was released at a workshop here Tuesday.
The air quality in Unnao, however, has come out as the cleanest despite a heavy presence of tanneries in the town.
The presence of nitrogen-di-oxide is found to be growing dangerously in Meerut, Gorakhpur, Ghaziabad and Kanpur. It is the highest in Meerut and lowest in Rae Bareilly, the survey said.
Sulphur-di-oxide has been found mixed in the air at dangerous levels in Khurja and Ghaziabad. The presence of multi-pollutants has been found in cities like Mathura, Khurja and Ghaziabad.
The study also revealed that in most cities the manifold increase in the number of vehicles has emerged as the leading source of pollution.
In the state capital Lucknow, Vikasnagar, Chowk, Amausi and Charbagh localities have been found to be pollution "hot spots". CSE said that serious and sustained efforts are needed to minimise the air pollution in these areas of the city.
It added that the growing use of diesel was a major contributor to the growing air pollution levels. CSE said that emissions were leading to serious ailments and diseases like cancer. Poor traffic management and growing number of vehicles is also adding to the scourge, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble