Ghaziabad may not get Delhi Metro: SP leader
Ghaziabad: Delhi Metro is unlikely to extend its network to Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, Samjajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav said Sunday.
Speaking after addressing a public rally here, the MP said the central government did not seem to be backing the proposal to extend the Rithala-Dilshad Garden route to New Bus Stand in Ghaziabad.
"It gives us (Uttar Pradesh) step motherly treatment," the Samajwadi Party general secretary told IANS.
"I know how much hard work I have to do while dealing with the union government regarding sanction of the project lying for approval before the group of ministers," he said.
"No one knows more than me the pain I am suffering dealing with the surface transport ministry and at different tiers in different ministries.
"But the (central) government is adamant not to grant the approval (of Metro line) despite my best efforts. So I don`t see the Delhi Metro coming to Ghaziabad in the near future."
The Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) had earlier approved the project, extending the Dilshad Garden-Rithala metro link to New Bus Stand here. The 9.41 km stretch was estimated to cost Rs.1,591 crore.
The proposed elevated corridor would have had seven stations: Shaheed Nagar, Raj Bagh, Rajendra Nagar, Shyam Park, Mohan Nagar, Arthala and New Bus Stand.
The link was expected to benefit around one lakh people daily, residing along these stretches as well as a vast chunk of the city population apart from those from Murad Nagar, Modi Nagar and Meerut.
GDA vice chairman Santosh Yadav said traffic condition in Ghaziabad, which adjoins Delhi, was deteriorating day by day.
The previous government in the state had, in April 2011, almost abandoned the nine-year-old proposal.
Three months later, public outcry compelled the government to announce that the metro line would reach Mohan Nagar. In August it was decided that it will touch the New Bus Stand.
Delhi Metro services presently extend to Gurgaon in Haryana and Noida in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani