Girl beaten to death; dishonour killing suspected
Kanpur: In a case of suspected dishonour killing, a 17-year-old girl was allegedly beaten to death by her parents who were angry over her affair with the son of the village headman in Ghatampur area.
Police have arrested the victim Priyanka`s mother, Kiran, while her father is absconding after the incident last evening.
Priyanka was severely beaten up by her parents who were angry over her relationship with Amit, which led to her death, police said quoting villagers.
Her parents allegedly burnt her body secretively and disposed of the ashes in their farm.
Alerted by the stench of burning flesh, villagers informed the police which then called in Priyanka`s parents for questioning.
Due to opposition to their relationship from her parents, Priyanka had allegedly attempted suicide by hanging herself on June 14. However, she was rushed to the hospital immediately and saved.
During interrogation, Kiran could not give satisfactory answers about her daughter`s whereabouts and her husband Jagdish was found to be absconding, police said.
When DIG Rajesh Rai was asked if it was a case of dishonour killing, he said, "It is too soon to say so".
The police have collected ashes and sent them for investigations. Search is on for the absconding father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note