Girl dies two weeks after being set on fire following rape attempt
Allahabad: A minor girl, who was set on fire by a youth and his parents after he had tried to rape her earlier this month, has succumbed to her injuries at a hospital here after battling for life for about two weeks.
The 15-year-old girl, who hailed from Jigna village under Shankergarh police station area, about 50 kms from the city, breathed her last at the SRN Hospital yesterday where she had been admitted on January 06 with 80 percent burn injuries, police said.
The girl, who hailed from a family of vegetable-sellers, was set on fire by Gyan Singh and his parents who were afraid that she might lodge a complaint against Singh who had tried to sexually assault her the previous day, the spokesman added.
"With the girl`s death we have enough evidence to press for death penalty for Singh and his parents who had been arrested immediately after she was admitted to hospital," Senior Superintendent of Police of Allahabad Mohit Agarwal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- ACB questions former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit in water tanker scam
- CAB planning Jagmohan Dalmiya Memorial Lecture during home season
- Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna ahead of Sachin Tendulkar, says former greats
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix
- Study Constitution well, understand democratic process: President to law students