Girl dies two weeks after being set on fire following rape attempt
Allahabad: A minor girl, who was set on fire by a youth and his parents after he had tried to rape her earlier this month, has succumbed to her injuries at a hospital here after battling for life for about two weeks.
The 15-year-old girl, who hailed from Jigna village under Shankergarh police station area, about 50 kms from the city, breathed her last at the SRN Hospital yesterday where she had been admitted on January 06 with 80 percent burn injuries, police said.
The girl, who hailed from a family of vegetable-sellers, was set on fire by Gyan Singh and his parents who were afraid that she might lodge a complaint against Singh who had tried to sexually assault her the previous day, the spokesman added.
"With the girl`s death we have enough evidence to press for death penalty for Singh and his parents who had been arrested immediately after she was admitted to hospital," Senior Superintendent of Police of Allahabad Mohit Agarwal said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India