Girl, lover caught after staging fake kidnapping in Kanpur
Kanpur: The kidnapping of a 19-year-old girl from Kidwai Nagar here for ransom of Rs five lakh turned out to be a staged affair with police today exposing the duo who had hatched the plan to use the money to elope.
The girl was reported missing after her CS coaching class last evening and her father had claimed he received a call on his cellphone demanding a payment of Rs five lakh for her safe return, Babupurva Circle Officer Pavitra Mohan Tripathi said.
The girl`s father filed an FIR in the matter following which police swung into action and traced the number from which the ransom call had been made, he said.
It was found to belong to one Lokesh who was reportedly in a romantic relationship with the "kidnapped" girl, he said.
The duo was found near the boy`s house around noon today with police saying that they would take action against the two for staging the kidnapping and harassing government officials.
Police are looking for others who might have been involved in the fake kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional