Girl, lover caught after staging fake kidnapping in Kanpur
Kanpur: The kidnapping of a 19-year-old girl from Kidwai Nagar here for ransom of Rs five lakh turned out to be a staged affair with police today exposing the duo who had hatched the plan to use the money to elope.
The girl was reported missing after her CS coaching class last evening and her father had claimed he received a call on his cellphone demanding a payment of Rs five lakh for her safe return, Babupurva Circle Officer Pavitra Mohan Tripathi said.
The girl`s father filed an FIR in the matter following which police swung into action and traced the number from which the ransom call had been made, he said.
It was found to belong to one Lokesh who was reportedly in a romantic relationship with the "kidnapped" girl, he said.
The duo was found near the boy`s house around noon today with police saying that they would take action against the two for staging the kidnapping and harassing government officials.
Police are looking for others who might have been involved in the fake kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption