Girl set afire for resisting rape, two held
Lucknow: Two brothers in Uttar Pradesh were arrested for setting afire their 14-year-old neighbour when she resisted their attempts to rape her, police said. The girl received 70 percent burns and is battling for life in a Delhi hospital.
The girl, a native of Dhakauli village in Bulandshahr district, some 350 km from Lucknow, was Saturday set ablaze by brothers Mashooq and Ashraf, both in their 20s, while she was alone at her house.
"The incident came to light on Sunday when the victim`s father approached us. According to him, the two set her daughter afire when she raised an alarm after they tried to rape her," police inspector Parminder Pal Singh said.
The girl was referred to a hospital in Delhi after her condition deteriorated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test