Girls vow not to use mobiles, wear jeans
Muzaffarnagar: Amid uproar over Taliban-like diktats against women by a village in Baghpat, girl students from various villages in this district convened their own `community panchayat` and vowed not to use mobile phones till Class XII or wear jeans.
The meeting attended by 50 girls from different castes and villages on Monday, however, opposed any move by village elders to impose their decisions on them.
"Nobody should try to impose their decisions on us. We are capable of taking decisions for our welfare," said a participant at the meeting organised by Bhartiya Kisan Union woman leader Sohanviri at Dudhli village.
The participants, who hailed from different villages including Manssoorpur Dudhaheri and Moghpur villages, discussed the bad effects of mobile phone use on students. They also decided to shun jeans to "respect` the wishes of the elders.
A panchayat in neighbouring Baghpat`s Asara village had on Friday banned love marriages and barred women below 40 years from going out for shopping and using mobile phones, sparking an uproar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire