Give mining permits only after valid clearances: HC to UP govt
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court on Friday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to issue licences for mining in the state only after obtaining proper environmental clearances for the same.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Shiv Kirti Singh and Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhaya gave this view in a case involving a PIL by a local lawyer.
The petitioner had sought directions for effective control over illegal mining in the state which, it was alleged, was going on openly despite a stay on it.
Appearing for the state government, additional advocate general Bulbul Godiyal told court that steps were being taken to provide valid mining licences, for which rules were being framed.
The court observed that before granting mining licences, the state government should obtain clearances from the Union environment ministry.
The next date for a hearing in the case has been fixed after four weeks.
UP has been in the news of late for alleged violations by the "mining mafia" in the state with the case of suspension of an IAS officer, Durga Shakti Nagpal, bringing the matter into sharp focus nationally.
Although Nagpal, who was posted in Gautam Budh Nagar district, was suspended late last month for ordering demolition of a mosque wall, the move was widely perceived as being a punishment for her for having cracked down on illegal mining in her area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon