Give mining permits only after valid clearances: HC to UP govt
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court on Friday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to issue licences for mining in the state only after obtaining proper environmental clearances for the same.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Shiv Kirti Singh and Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhaya gave this view in a case involving a PIL by a local lawyer.
The petitioner had sought directions for effective control over illegal mining in the state which, it was alleged, was going on openly despite a stay on it.
Appearing for the state government, additional advocate general Bulbul Godiyal told court that steps were being taken to provide valid mining licences, for which rules were being framed.
The court observed that before granting mining licences, the state government should obtain clearances from the Union environment ministry.
The next date for a hearing in the case has been fixed after four weeks.
UP has been in the news of late for alleged violations by the "mining mafia" in the state with the case of suspension of an IAS officer, Durga Shakti Nagpal, bringing the matter into sharp focus nationally.
Although Nagpal, who was posted in Gautam Budh Nagar district, was suspended late last month for ordering demolition of a mosque wall, the move was widely perceived as being a punishment for her for having cracked down on illegal mining in her area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference