Gonda fake encounter case: 8 cops convicted
Lucknow: Eight policemen have been convicted by a special CBI court here in a 31-year-old fake encounter case in Gonda district in which 13 people, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police, were killed.
Special CBI judge Rajendra Singh convicted the eight yesterday and fixed April 05 as the next date to fix quantum of sentence.
One policeman Prem Singh was acquitted of the charges.
In all, 19 policemen were made accused in the case of which 10 died during the course of the trial.
DySP and circle officer KP Singh and 12 other people were killed in the fake encounter in Madhopur village in March 1982.
Police initially claimed that Singh was killed by criminals, but his wife Vibha Singh suspected foul play and moved the Supreme Court, which ordered a CBI inquiry.
The CBI filed chargesheet against 19 policemen of which 10 died during the trial.
Those convicted include the then PAC commandant Ramakant Dixit, station house officer RB Saroj, sub-inspectors Naseem Ahmad, Mangal Singh, Parvez Hussain, Rajendra Prasad Singh, head constable Prem Narain Pandey and constable Ram Karan.
The eight convicts were sent to jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- 1,282 pilgrims leave for Amarnath Yatra from Jammu
- Kejriwal to visit Goa again next month
- Myanmar census data undercuts Buddhist hardliner claims
- WATCH: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, ex-president Pervez Musharraf flirted with this girl?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot