Gonda fake encounter case: 8 cops convicted
Lucknow: Eight policemen have been convicted by a special CBI court here in a 31-year-old fake encounter case in Gonda district in which 13 people, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police, were killed.
Special CBI judge Rajendra Singh convicted the eight yesterday and fixed April 05 as the next date to fix quantum of sentence.
One policeman Prem Singh was acquitted of the charges.
In all, 19 policemen were made accused in the case of which 10 died during the course of the trial.
DySP and circle officer KP Singh and 12 other people were killed in the fake encounter in Madhopur village in March 1982.
Police initially claimed that Singh was killed by criminals, but his wife Vibha Singh suspected foul play and moved the Supreme Court, which ordered a CBI inquiry.
The CBI filed chargesheet against 19 policemen of which 10 died during the trial.
Those convicted include the then PAC commandant Ramakant Dixit, station house officer RB Saroj, sub-inspectors Naseem Ahmad, Mangal Singh, Parvez Hussain, Rajendra Prasad Singh, head constable Prem Narain Pandey and constable Ram Karan.
The eight convicts were sent to jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends