Govt misleading the public on SC verdict: Prashant Bhushan
Noida: Lawyer Prashant Bhushan accused the government of misleading people by selectively quoting the judgement on Presidential reference on 2G verdict, claiming it clearly spelt out that auctioning was the way to go when commercial purpose and profiteering was involved.
He alleged that the government has gone on an "overdrive" after the Supreme Court`s opinion on the 2G presidential reference, to project the judgement as a vindication of the government`s policies.
"They (Ministers P Chidambaram and Kapil Sibal) are using the innocuous part of the judgement, which says that all natural resources don`t have to be auctioned in all circumstances, to claim vindication. They have even used the SCs opinion to criticise the CAG," he told reporters.
Bhushan said he was happy that the Supreme Court has clearly said that auctioning of scarce natural resource is the way to go when commercial purpose and profiteering is involved.
He claimed that the recent coal block allocation would stand cancelled due to this Presidential reference judgement as there is enough evidence to prove that, like 2G spectrum allocation, private companies benefited by "sitting and trading on the value through leasing or sub-transferring."
"In view of this judgement, which is a concurring judgment of the court, all the allocations of coal blocks made by the government to private companies for commercial use (even for captive consumption) without auction, would have to be declared void.
"The government`s dishonest spin being sought to be given to the judgement by its senior ministers is another clear sign of its dishonest intent," he alleged.
Lawyer Shanti Bhushan said the remarks made by Ministers by coming out with their "versions" of the judgement were "contempt of court".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing