Govt to probe violence at ITBP recruitment drive
Government has ordered a high level probe into circumstances that led to violence and chaos at the recruitment drive in Bareilly by ITBP, which admitted it failed to estimate the massive turnout.
New Delhi/Bareilly: Government has ordered a
high level probe into circumstances that led to violence and
chaos at the recruitment drive in Bareilly by ITBP, which
admitted it failed to estimate the massive turnout.
An aspirant was killed during clashes when the job
seekers went on a rampage in Bareilly on Tuesday while 20
persons returning home from the recruitment drive died after
they fell from the roof of two speeding trains.
Sources in New Delhi said today the inquiry will be
conducted by Additional Director General of ITBP Dilip
Trivedi, who has reached Bareilly and is interacting with
local police and administration officials to ascertain the
sequence of events that led to chaos and mismanagement during
the job rally.
The inquiry report will be submitted to the Ministry of
Home Affairs, they said.
Nearly 1.5 lakh aspirants gathered at the ITBP Kumaon
headquarters in Bareilly to deposit their application forms.
The situation went out of control when the aspirants after
failing to get their forms deposited indulged in arson and
ITBP has cancelled all the registrations done on Tuesday
and fresh exercise will be undertaken.
ITBP Additional Director General Dilip Trivedi told
reporters in Bareilly that since recruitment for the post of
tradesman was being done after a gap of three years,
estimation of the number of aspirants, who will turn up for
the process, was "not right".
As of now no one can be held guilty, anything could be
said only after the inquiry is over, the ADG said.
Trivedi said that the agency will take suitable remedies
and the recruitment process will be changed.
The process will be changed to ensure that such
incidents do not recur, he said.
ITBP DIG R S Negi said that all the registrations done
on Tuesday had been cancelled and fresh exercise will be
The Uttar Pradesh government demanded appropriate
action against the officers responsible.
"A letter has been sent to the Centre requesting it to
fix responsibility of the officers for mismanagement during
recruitment drive and demanding action against guilty," a
government spokesman said in Lucknow.
He alleged that the Shahjahanpur incident took place
due to lapse on the part of the ITBP officers and temporary
arrangements made by them.
"If the ITBP officers would have done right estimation
and coordinated with Bareilly administration then such an
unfortunate incident would not have had happened," he said.
The government has demanded the Centre to implement
standard operating procedure in recruitment drives by central
agencies, the spokesman said.
"The Centre has been requested to strictly direct the
central agencies to maintain coordination with the district
administration during recruitment drives," he said.
In Bareilly, Police said a murder case has been
registered against ITBP when a youth died allegedly after
being beaten up by the its jawans.
Devendra Singh, hailing from Etah, sustained serious
injuries on his head on Tuesday after ITBP jawans allegedly
assaulted aspirants with sticks, leading to stampede, they
Singh, was admitted to the district hospital where
he succumbed to injuries on Tuesday late night, police said.
The victim`s cousin Keshav Singh had yesterday lodged
an FIR against ITBP alleging that its jawan assaulted
aspirants with sticks, leading to stampede and in which
Devendra sustained serious injuries.