Gujarat Congress slams Narendra Modi for Global Agriculture Summit
Gandhinagar: Leader of Opposition in the Gujarat Assembly, Shankarsinh Vaghela on Tuesday slammed Chief Minister Narendra Modi saying he was wasting taxpayers` money to fulfil his prime ministerial ambitions by organising the Global Agriculture Summit.
"The Chief Minister is wasting taxpayers` money to fulfil his Prime Ministerial dreams and using it as a stepping stone to Delhi," Congress leader Vaghela told reporters here today.
"He invited people from outside and awarded them thousands of rupees, though he has not offered any relief to farmers in Gujarat," he said.
On the inaugural day of the two-day `Vibrant Gujarat Global Agriculture Summit, 2013` yesterday, Modi handed out awards to farmers from various states carrying a cash prize of Rs 51,000 each for exemplary work in agriculture and allied sectors.
Ridiculing Modi`s claims that Gujarat had achieved a 10 percent growth rate in the agricultural sector, Vaghela said, "During the past five years, this rate never reached beyond 6 percent and Gujarat is nowhere in the list of top five states in the country".
At the inauguration yesterday, Modi had attacked the central government on the issue of farmers` suicides and blamed it for not facilitating easy bank credit for the agricultural sector.
"Because of cumbersome banking processes and the burden of debt, around 2,70,000 farmers have committed suicide in the past 20 years," Modi had said.
Criticising Modi for these comments, Vaghela said, "During the last 12 years, more than 7,000 farmers committed suicide, but the Gujarat government has not offered any relief to those families. Nobody from the government has even bothered to pay a visit to those families on humanitarian grounds."
Responding to a question about RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat`s backing of Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate, Vaghela, a former RSS member himself, said, "Under the influence of money, it (RSS) has become a pitiable organisation of spineless people".
"BJP`s Delhi leadership dances to Modi`s tunes because he has asked all industrial houses to send all the funds to Gujarat. Even VHP is on the payroll of BJP," Vaghela alleged.
Talking about the communal violence in Muzaffarnagar, Vaghela alleged, "It is a BJP conspiracy to incite violence with an eye on the 2014 Lok Sabha elections".
"Vanzara`s sensational letter has exposed the BJP model of Gujarat, which is to create a split between two communities by resorting to violence and reap the benefits of electoral power," he alleged.
"Now the same formula has been adopted nationally. For the 2014 elections, it is BJP`s plan to split society along communal lines," he said.
Suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara, an accused in fake encounter cases, had recently tendered his resignation through a letter in which he claimed that he had merely implemented Gujarat government`s policy of "zero tolerance" towards terrorism in carrying out the acts for which he is now facing allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'