Gujarat riots: Azam Khan seeks apology from BJP
Rampur: Days after BJP made overtures to Muslims, Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan said the community can think of extending support to the party if it vows to rebuild Babri mosque at the same venue, and apologise for Gujarat riots.
"If pardon is granted in heinous crime like demolition of Babri mosque just by uttering the word `mafi`, then Constitution, law, courts and police stations would become useless entities," Khan said yesterday.
He was addressing reporters at university campus here.
On February 25, BJP president Rajnath Singh had asked the community to give the party a chance and not go by "propaganda" spread by Congress.
"Please note that whenever, wherever if there has been any mistake and shortcoming on our part, I assure you that we will apologise to you by bowing our heads," Singh had said.
Khan, who is considered Muslim face of the ruling Samajwadi Party, said, "Let BJP supremo Rajnath Singh declare that his party is responsible for martyrdom of Babri mosque and own total responsibility for massacre of Muslims in Gujarat.
"Singh`s proposal of an apology could be considered if he takes a vow to reconstruct the mosque at the same venue and personally visits it."
"We (Muslims) can think of extending our support for Singh`s moves of remodelling a naya hindustan and thereby new definition of our relations with them (BJP) might come into existence," he said.
Khan also lashed out at Congress alleging "its leaders work for BJP while remaining in Congress. Take the case of veteran leader Jagdambika Pal who was born in Congress and now inclines to embrace BJP".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145