Had I been a heavyweight, I would have become UP CM: Shivpal Yadav
Ballia (UP): Senior Samajwadi Party leader Shivpal Singh Yadav on Sunday suggested that he is not among the "heavyweights" in the party as had it been so, "he would have become Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh" when the party had won majority in last year`s Assembly polls.
"Had I been a heavyweight leader, I would have become state`s Chief Minister (When the party had come to power)," Shivpal said here.
He said this when asked by local party leaders why the minister was not intervening personally to get more representation for the district in the government.
Shivpal, brother of party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, was one of the front-runners for the CM`s post after SP had come to power with an absolute majority in the elections held last year.
He also took a jibe at elevation of Rahul Gandhi to the rank of Congress Vice-President during party`s Jaipur summit, saying that the results of Bihar, UP and Gujarat polls have proved that Rahul`s charisma was not working.
"Whatever, he (Rahul) does, I don`t think he will succeed in catapulting his party to power", Shivpal said.
About the performance of his Public Works Department, Shivpal said continuous efforts are being made to improve the condition of state roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon