Had I been a heavyweight, I would have become UP CM: Shivpal Yadav
Ballia (UP): Senior Samajwadi Party leader Shivpal Singh Yadav on Sunday suggested that he is not among the "heavyweights" in the party as had it been so, "he would have become Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh" when the party had won majority in last year`s Assembly polls.
"Had I been a heavyweight leader, I would have become state`s Chief Minister (When the party had come to power)," Shivpal said here.
He said this when asked by local party leaders why the minister was not intervening personally to get more representation for the district in the government.
Shivpal, brother of party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav, was one of the front-runners for the CM`s post after SP had come to power with an absolute majority in the elections held last year.
He also took a jibe at elevation of Rahul Gandhi to the rank of Congress Vice-President during party`s Jaipur summit, saying that the results of Bihar, UP and Gujarat polls have proved that Rahul`s charisma was not working.
"Whatever, he (Rahul) does, I don`t think he will succeed in catapulting his party to power", Shivpal said.
About the performance of his Public Works Department, Shivpal said continuous efforts are being made to improve the condition of state roads.
- Transit of Mercury, May 9, 2016: Where, when and how to watch in India!
- Hrithik Roshan shares video where Katrina Kaif is singing! Watch it now
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders' Yusuf Pathan slams Sunil Gavaskar for calling RCB's bowling line-up as 'popatwadi attack'
- Apple sees huge market potential in India: CEO Tim Cook
- Virat Kohli recommended for Khel Ratna by BCCI, Ajinkya Rahane for Arjuna Award