Had no option but to hike power tarrif: Samajwadi Party
Lucknow: The ruling Samajwadi Party on Saturday defended its decision to enforce a hike in power tariffs in Uttar Pradesh saying that the state government had okayed the same after being left with no other options.
"With the demand for power increasing across the state and the government lacking resources, what else can be done other than (hiking the tariff)," SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said.
Chaudhary alleged that it was the previous Bahujan Samaj Party regime in the state which was responsible for the heavy burden on the present government as it had purchased power worth around Rs 25,000 crore on credit.
"Political parties which are (holding protests) on the power issue should be asked why they had kept mum (during the BSP regime)," he said.
Chaudhary said that the UP Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) was being given an additional Rs 7,000 crore to purchase power from other states while steps were being take to start new electricity generation projects in the state.
The UP Electricity Regulatory Commission yesterday approved a new power tariff structure for the state that effects a significant hike for domestic, commercial and rural consumers while leaving industries untouched.
Opposition parties, meanwhile, have decided to fight tooth and nail the proposed hike with BJP workers today marching up to the state power corporation headquarters where they staged a demonstration.
During a meeting with UPPCL MD AP Mishra, state BJP president Laxmikant Bajpai asked why domestic tariffs had been hiked by 26 per cent while the increase for government departments was a mere six per cent.
Ajit Singh-led Rashtriya Lok Dal has for its part said that it would stage a state-wide demonstration on June 6 to protest against the power tariff hike.
CPI, too, has joined in the chorus against the proposed hike and demanded that it be immediately revoked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo