Handover Asthana`s viscera samples to AIIMS: SC asks CBI
New Delhi/Ghaziabad: The Supreme Court
on Tuesday stepped in to ascertain the cause of the mysterious
death in a Ghaziabad jail of Ashutosh Asthana, a key accused
in the multi-crore Provident Fund scam, directing the CBI to
hand over his viscera samples to AIIMS for the purpose.
It also asked the UP government to provide protection to
all the accused and witnesses in the case.
The court`s direction came on a day when authorities in
Dasna jail in Ghaziabad on the outskirts of Delhi began an
inquiry into 43-year-old Asthana`s death on Saturday.
A special bench headed by Justice D K Jain also asked
the UP government to provide adequate protection to all the
accused and witnesses in the case. Asthana`s wife had voiced
apprehensions that she could be the next target.
In a related development, Union Law Minister M Veerappa
Moily said if the UP government wants, it can hand over
investigations of the case (of Asthana`s death) to the CBI.
Asthana, a treasury officer at the Ghaziabad court, was
arrested in April 2008 in connection with the alleged
siphoning off of Rs.23 crore provident fund of class III and
IV employees in which names of a number of 36 judges from
various courts, including one from the Supreme Court, had
The apex court asked the CBI to give Asthana`s viscera`s
samples to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences to
ascertain the cause of his death.
"She is a district judge and has already been provided
protection. The state will take all steps to protect her," the
bench said when senior counsel Anil Divan, appearing for the
petitioner Nahar Singh Yadav, sought protection for her and
Anokhi Lal, another accused in the case.
"Naturally, if she makes a request, we are bound to
provide (security). There should be no difficulty," the bench
said when the counsel wondered if Rama Jain would be provided
additional security if she apprehends any further threat.
Both Attorney General G E Vahanvati and UP counsel
Shail Dwivedi assured the court that they would abide by any
order passed by the bench as they were all "very very
concerned" with the latest development.
Asthana, who was a treasury officer at the Ghaziabad
court, was arrested in April 2008 in connection with siphoning
off provident fund of class III and IV employees. During
interrogation, he had named 36 judges of various courts,
including one from the Supreme Court, as alleged beneficiaries
of the scam.
The investigation in the case is being done by CBI
under the directions of the apex court since September 2008 on
the basis of a petition filed by Nahar Singh Yadav, president
of Advocates Welfare Association, Ghaziabad.
Those named in the scam include seven Allahabad High
Court judges, six retired High Court judges and 12 judges of
subordinate judiciary in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah