Harassed girl immolates self in UP
Kanpur: A 14-year-old girl in Uttar Pradesh succumbed to burn injuries Monday, two days after she set herself afire following continued harassment by a group of youths, police said.
The police were yet to take action against the culprits, even as officials say they are on the lookout for those who harassed her.
The girl was followed and harassed by one Rohit and his friends for some time. On Saturday, Rohit again intercepted her and proposed marriage to her. The girl returned home where she locked herself in a room and set herself on fire. She was later rushed to hospital where she succumbed to her injuries Monday, police said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Kanpur Amitabh Yash, while confirming the incident, told news agencies that the girl was a resident of Hanumant Nagar and was being hounded by some local boys.
The family of the girl had named neighbour Rohit and his friends for harassing her and pushing her into taking such an extreme step.
Earlier, police had last month arrested Rohit following complaints by the girl`s family but he was out of lockup soon as the charges slapped on him were minor. After this, he had started threatening the girl, about which the police were informed.
The grief-stricken family has not yet lodged any complaint with the police.
"Once this happens, we will arrest the culprits and book them," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why