Harvard invites Akhilesh after successful Kumbh
Lucknow: After Uttar Pradesh played host to world`s largest religious congregation during Mahakumbh in Allahabad, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Minister Mohammad Azam Khan have been invited by the Harvard University to share the story of organising the 55-day event.
Urban Development Minister Khan, who was incharge of the Mela, has said that they have been invited by the Harvard University and information department sources indicated today that preparations are afoot for their visit next month.
A team from Harvard comprising 50 members had visited Kumbh in January to study and analyse the rituals, arrangements and management of the religious congregation, the sources said.
Khan termed it as a "matter of honour for the state" and an acknowledgement of the successful management at Kumbh.
While informing the state Assemly about the invite during a discussion early this month on a stampede during Kumbh mela, Khan had said, "I and Chief minister Akhilesh have been invited by the Harvard university.... Though it`s not certain whether we will be going there or not."
Pilgrims had camped in the sprawling Kumbh Mela ground spread over an area of about 6000 acres. Held at the Sangam every 12 years, the Maha Kumbh of 2013 is likely to be remembered for the largest ever turnout of three crore pilgrims for the Mauni Amavasya festival on February 10.
However, a stampede broke out later in the day at the Allahabad Junction railway station, which was bursting at the seams with pilgrims.
The stampede claimed 38 lives. In total, with the stampedes and fire incidents, over 45 lives were lost during the Maha Kumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested