Hashimpura case: Court reserves order on Swamy`s plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court Tuesday reserved its order on an application of Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy seeking further investigation to ascertain the alleged role of Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the 1987 Hashimpura massacre incident.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Siddhartha reserved his order for February 25.
Rebecca John, counsel for the Hashimpura complainants, opposed Swamy`s plea saying the allegations levelled by him are nothing beyond insinuations.
She also submitted that "if he (Swamy) has any material or evidence, he should give it to the police and they can undertake further investigation if need be."
"Further investigation is not dependent on the ongoing trial in the case. He is trying to use this court to get an order passed which is not permissible under the law," John said.
Sixteen PAC personnel are facing trial for allegedly killing 42 persons in Hashimpura district of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
The Supreme Court had transferred the case to Delhi in September 2002 following a petition by families of massacre victims and survivors.
A sessions court here in July 2006 had framed charges of murder, attempt to murder, tampering with evidence and conspiracy against all the accused. Three accused PAC personnel have died during trial.
Claiming that the 16 PAC personnel facing trial merely executed the orders of a senior person, Swamy has been seeking a probe into the alleged role of Chidambaram, who was the Minister of State for Internal Security from October 1986 to 1989 at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh
- Volkswagen kicks off deliveries of its first Made in India car Ameo