Hashimpura case: Court reserves order on Swamy`s plea
New Delhi: A Delhi court Tuesday reserved its order on an application of Janata Party President Subramanian Swamy seeking further investigation to ascertain the alleged role of Finance Minister P Chidambaram in the 1987 Hashimpura massacre incident.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Siddhartha reserved his order for February 25.
Rebecca John, counsel for the Hashimpura complainants, opposed Swamy`s plea saying the allegations levelled by him are nothing beyond insinuations.
She also submitted that "if he (Swamy) has any material or evidence, he should give it to the police and they can undertake further investigation if need be."
"Further investigation is not dependent on the ongoing trial in the case. He is trying to use this court to get an order passed which is not permissible under the law," John said.
Sixteen PAC personnel are facing trial for allegedly killing 42 persons in Hashimpura district of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
The Supreme Court had transferred the case to Delhi in September 2002 following a petition by families of massacre victims and survivors.
A sessions court here in July 2006 had framed charges of murder, attempt to murder, tampering with evidence and conspiracy against all the accused. Three accused PAC personnel have died during trial.
Claiming that the 16 PAC personnel facing trial merely executed the orders of a senior person, Swamy has been seeking a probe into the alleged role of Chidambaram, who was the Minister of State for Internal Security from October 1986 to 1989 at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cuteness alert! Insanely adorable pictures of 'Ye Hai Mohabbatein' fame Ruhaanika Dhawan
- Mother Sofia Hayat displays her singing talent - Watch video
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi