HC asks UP Chief Secy to verify about 2 blocked news channels
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Friday directed Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary to verify whether two news channels were blocked by cable operators on state government`s orders.
The Lucknow division bench comprising Justices Imtiyaz Murtaza and DK Upadhyay passed this order on a PIL alleging that due to negative coverage of Saifai Mahotsava, on orders of SP government two news channels were blocked by the cable operators.
However, standing counsel IP Singh termed the allegations in the PIL as baseless and said that no directions to block channels were given by the government.
The bench has asked the Chief Secretary to verify the issue at his level and submit a report to the court on January 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border