HC issues notice to Azam Khan on petition by Jat policemen
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Monday issued notice to Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan on a petition filed by policemen belonging to the Jat community who alleged they were transferred out of Muzaffarnagar after the recent communal clashes in that district upon his "orders".
Justice Sudhir Agrawal also stayed the impugned transfers "provided they have not already joined at the transferred place" and that the authorities concerned shall, in the meantime, "ensure payment of their salary at Muzaffarnagar but it will be open to them to take work or not".
The order was passed on the petition of Pankaj Kumar and six others, all of them Constables or Head Constables, who were transferred to "far-off" places like "Chitrakoot, Basti, Banda, Hamirpur and Pratapgarh".
The petitioners have alleged that following the riots, "police personnel of a particular community (Jat)" were being shifted "from western part of UP to other places like eastern side or Bundelkhand" and that this was being done "following the directions/orders" issued by Khan, who has been named in the petition.
Fixing October 10 as the next date of hearing in the matter, the court sought counter-affidavits from Khan as well as the state`s Chief Standing Counsel.
The court also wanted an affidavit "filed by an officer of not below the rank of Deputy Inspector General of Police" stating the reasons for the aforesaid transfers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says