HC orders Akhilesh govt to reply on PIL by June 7
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court on Wednesday directed the Uttar Pradesh government to file a reply by June 7 on a PIL seeking direction for quashing the order issued by the state for withdrawing cases against persons accused in alleged terror activities.
The order was passed by the bench of Justice Rajeev Sharma and Justice Mahendra Dayal on the PIL filed by local lawyer Ranjana Agnihotri and five others.
The bench directed that the state shall file affidavit of alleged terrorist whose cases were recently withdrawn and whether the consent of the central government has been taken or not for the same.
The petitioners have sought direction from the court for quashing the order issued by the state for withdrawing cases against persons accused of alleged terror activities and serial blasts after summoning the original order from the opposite parties.
The petitioners have also challenged the validity of section 321 of the CrPC (provision for withdrawing the cases).
They prayed for striking down section 321 as ultra vires to Article 14 of the Constitution and also declare it as unconstitutional on the ground that it affects sovereignty, integrity and internal security of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends