HC quashes acquisition of land in another Gr Noida village
Allahabad: Acquisition of land in yet another village of Gautam Buddh Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh was on Friday set aside by the Allahabad High Court.
A Division Bench comprising justices Sunil Ambwani and Aditya Nath Mittal while asking the Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) to "return the land" in Surajpur village under Dadri Pargana of the district to the petitioners, also ruled that they shall be "entitled to receive Rs 25,000 each as costs of litigation".
It quashed the notifications dated Ausgust 27, 2004 and July 19, 2005 whereby a total of 6.93 hectares (about 17 acres) of land had been acquired during the previous Samajwadi Party government in the state for industrial development.
The order was passed on two writ petitions filed by Bunda and other residents of Surajpur and by a company M/s Saraswati Builders which had purchased land in the village way back in 1989 and carried out substantial construction work there.
The petitioners altogether owned nearly 3 hectares (7.5 acres) of the acquired land.
According to the petitioners` counsel Pankaj Dubey, "This order enables other tenure holders in the village, who could not approach the court, to get their land back by moving an application before the concerned authorities subject to the return of any compensation accepted by them so far".
The court noted that the acquisition of land was effected by invoking the urgency clause, which armed the GNIDA with "powers to dispense with enquiries under Section 5-A purportedly for industrial development" and that the same were "exercised mechanically, arbitrarily and with mala fide purposes".
"The entire acquisition of land in the present case was for oblique purpose as major portion of the area was covered with water, recorded as pond, and was used for fishing", the court remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad