HC refuses to relax order banning immersion of idols in Ganga, Yamuna
Allahabad: The effort by the district administration and local residents to secure permission for immersing Durga idols in Ganga and Yamuna failed today with the Allahabad High Court making it clear that it saw "no justification to recall or relax its order" prohibiting "visarjan" in either river.
A Division Bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and Arun Tandon, however, directed the Principal Secretary (Home) and Director General of Police of Uttar Pradesh to ensure that the customary immersion was undertaken "safely and conveniently" at an alternative place.
"It is the duty of the administration to provide alternative suitable place, including ponds and other facilities for safe and convenient immersion of idols," the court said and directed "necessary details for immersion of all the idols be published in local newspapers of Allahabad on Sunday, 13,10.2013, so that all pandals/barwaris may come to know the places for immersion of idols and convenience regarding traffic/parking".
The judgement was passed on an application filed by the administration along with the city`s Bengali Welfare Association whereby permission had been sought "to perform the immersion of idols of Goddess Durga till there is no proper alternative arrangement".
Significantly, on October 07 last, the court had turned down a request by the administration to relax its order dated October 9, 2012 whereby immersion of idols in the two rivers had been banned from the year 2013.
Miffed over the situation, the Bengali Welfare Association had threatened to bring all the idols to the Collectorate on Vijaya Dashmi.
Meanwhile, the Association and the administration are understood to have reached an agreement wherein idols would be immersed in a flood island in the Phaphamau locality on the outskirts of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org