HC reserves order on contempt notice issued to CJM
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday reserved its order on show cause contempt notice issued to Chief Judicial Magistrate of Allahabad for "wrongfully confining" a person whom she had declined to release despite his bail was accepted by the High Court.
Justice Dharnidhar Jha reserved order after CJM Preeti Srivastava deposed before the court and offered clarification with regard to her failure to release the petitioner Arif who had been granted bail by the High Court on January 13.
The show cause contempt notice was issued to the CJM on January 18 after submission of the petitioner`s counsel that the lower court had not released Arif but "asked this court to incorporate the Sections of offences after the case crime number which appears in that order".
The court had taken a strong note of the CJM`s action and remarked "subordinate judges are acting as if they were officers superior to the High Court".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: UK goes to polls in knife-edge EU referendum; over 46 million people to decide Britain's fate
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends