HC restrains UP govt from demolishing Rampur fort gateways
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has restrained the Uttar Pradesh government from demolishing gateways situated at the four corners of Rampur city allegedly at the behest of Samajwadi Party strongman and minister Azam Khan.
A Division Bench comprising Justices V K Shukla and Suneet Kumar passed the order on a petition filed by Nawab Kazim Ali Khan, the Congress MLA representing Swar seat of Rampur.
The MLA alleged that demolition of the "historical" gateways has been ordered at the instance of Azam Khan under the pretext of infrastructure development projects.
The court, in its order on December 10, asked the District Magistrate of Rampur and the Executive Engineer of Public Works Department to file their reply and fixed January 16, as the next date of hearing.
The court also asked the Archaeological Survey of India to "get inspection done independently" with regard to the historicity of the gateways and submit its report by the next date of hearing.
Azam Khan represents Rampur assembly segment.
He is known to share a fierce political rivalry with the Nawabs of Rampur.
Nawab Kazim Ali, a descendant of Rampur royal family, has alleged that Azam was "out to finish" the remnants of the nawabs of Rampur by demanding demolition of gates of century-old Rampur fort.
He had also submitted a memorandum submitted to the Governor, saying,"his (Azam`s) father used to serve my (Kazim`s) grandfather, the last nawab of Rampur".
"He (Azam) does not like the reality of his past and so is possessed with the aim of finishing off all the remnants of the nawabs," Ali had claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Attention users: New malware commits data theft by the sound of your processor!
- Tattoo alert: Reasons why you shouldn't get inked with any religious symbol!
- Oops! Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah gets kissed by woman in public — Watch video
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more