HC seeks reply from UP Govt on PIL over Amethi district
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday sought a reply from Uttar Pradesh government on a PIL challenging creation of Amethi district on the ground that no infrastructure has been provided.
The order was passed here by the bench of Chief Justice Shiva Kirti Singh and Justice Devendra Kumar Upadhyaya on two PILs filed by Ved Prakash Singh and others.
The Lucknow bench of the court granted the state counsel two weeks time to file a short counter affidavit.
The petitioner submitted that though the new district has been created, required infrastructure has not been provided.
He submitted that there is no meaning of creating the new district without necessary infrastructure.
He prayed that Rs 2,000 crore is required for the necessary infrastructure which should be provided by the state government.
Appearing on behalf of the government, Additional Advocate General Bulbul Godiyal sought time for seeking instructions from the government.
The court granted the state counsel two weeks time to file a short counter affidavit.
It also gave time to the petitioner to file a supplementary affidavit giving details of the necessary infrastructure needed.
In July, the Akhilesh Yadav government had granted district status to Amethi, after the Allahabad high court had asked it to issue a fresh notification to this effect.
The notification had brought four assembly constituencies -- Tiloi, Gauriganj, Amethi and Musafirkhana -- under the umbrella of Amethi, the parliamentary constituency of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore