HC seeks status report from CBI in Badaun gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday asked the CBI to file a report about the progress in its probe into the Badaun gang-rape case.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Dilip Gupta fixed July 8 as the next date of hearing in the matter and asked the petitioner, social organisation `Stree Mukti Sangathan`, to move an application for impleading the CBI as a party in its petition.
The NGO had alleged that the state agencies were not investigating the matter in a free and fair manner and had demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
The court had, while admitting the petition on June 11, said that it would monitor the investigation in the case.
The two girls, both of them cousins and aged 14-15 years, had gone missing from their home in Katra Sadatganj village of Badaun district on May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a tree the next day.
Five accused -- brothers Pappu Yadav, Awadhesh Yadav and Urvesh Yadav and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav -- have been arrested in connection with the case which has sparked nationwide outrage and led to concerns over the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagwant Mann smells of alcohol, can't sit next to him: Suspended AAP MP Harinder Khalsa
- Simply irresistible! You cannot take your eyes off majestic Priyanka Chopra on Flaunt cover- See it to believe it
- Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline and John Abraham run for their lives in new 'Dishoom' POSTER? Pic inside
- Ruling due on whether IMF chief to face trial in France
- Vodafone reports better-than-expected 2.2% rise in Q1 revenue