HC seeks status report from CBI in Badaun gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday asked the CBI to file a report about the progress in its probe into the Badaun gang-rape case.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Dilip Gupta fixed July 8 as the next date of hearing in the matter and asked the petitioner, social organisation `Stree Mukti Sangathan`, to move an application for impleading the CBI as a party in its petition.
The NGO had alleged that the state agencies were not investigating the matter in a free and fair manner and had demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
The court had, while admitting the petition on June 11, said that it would monitor the investigation in the case.
The two girls, both of them cousins and aged 14-15 years, had gone missing from their home in Katra Sadatganj village of Badaun district on May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a tree the next day.
Five accused -- brothers Pappu Yadav, Awadhesh Yadav and Urvesh Yadav and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav -- have been arrested in connection with the case which has sparked nationwide outrage and led to concerns over the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test