HC seeks status report from CBI in Badaun gang-rape case
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Thursday asked the CBI to file a report about the progress in its probe into the Badaun gang-rape case.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice D Y Chandrachud and Justice Dilip Gupta fixed July 8 as the next date of hearing in the matter and asked the petitioner, social organisation `Stree Mukti Sangathan`, to move an application for impleading the CBI as a party in its petition.
The NGO had alleged that the state agencies were not investigating the matter in a free and fair manner and had demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
The court had, while admitting the petition on June 11, said that it would monitor the investigation in the case.
The two girls, both of them cousins and aged 14-15 years, had gone missing from their home in Katra Sadatganj village of Badaun district on May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a tree the next day.
Five accused -- brothers Pappu Yadav, Awadhesh Yadav and Urvesh Yadav and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav -- have been arrested in connection with the case which has sparked nationwide outrage and led to concerns over the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read